Thursday, March 19, 2009

Match Day


My (much) younger sister, Janet, is graduating from medical school on May 16th in Ft Worth, TX. I am so proud of her. She is the "baby" of four children. Our older sister was 17 when Janet was born. My older brother, Mel, was 14 years old and I was 13. We had so much fun with her. She was like our baby. My best friend and I would put her in the stroller and walk her around the neighborhood. She was my living babydoll! And now she is a doctor! Today was Match Day. Match Day, you ask? Medical students interview with hospitals for positions. And at the same time, the student doctor is interviewing the hospital. In my sister's case, she interviewed with 10 hospitals. The student doctor ranks her/his preference of hospitals and the hospitals rank the student's. Then they match the student and hospital. Some folks do not get matched at all and have to scramble to find places. Janet found out earlier this week that she did match. She will not tell anyone how she ranked her choices, but judging by her excitement I believe she got her first choice. She will be working in the ER at LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana! First thing that came to my mind is LSU football! Woo hoo! She has worked many years to get to this place in her life and I am completley thrilled that she followed her dreams and is about the reap the rewards of her dedicated work! She is not only my baby sister, she is my hero! Congratulations sis! I love you!

8 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

How sweet of you. Congrats to your sister!

Unknown said...

Your sister is very lucky to have you as her sister!

Congrats to your sis on her huge accomplishment!

Wunderwoman said...

Congrats to your sis!!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Way to go little sis! That is one heck of an accomplishment! And love that you think of football .... LOL.

Love ya girl, thanks for the words. You always know how to cheer me up!

Anjanette Young said...

That is so awesome! Congrats to your sis and you. Sounds like fun, when you were 13.

PS. you received the Kreative Blogger award on my blog.

Have a great weekend.

Chef E said...

That is awesome, and Louisiana is where my mom is from, so wooo hooo for the whole idea!

I got my little bag...thank you! Was nice having a present brought in to me by my own personal sexy mail husband...

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Congratulations to your sister!

jmt said...

it's so fun to be so proud of little siblings. :) good work on being a good sister, and good work to little sister for becoming a doctor!!!